Monday 11 August 2008

Family bike

On the road to Zongoene beach, a father and his son stand on the side of the sand road and let us pass. Everyone is very friendly and wave to to us with a simple and authentic smile. Children just love to see the white people. They say: "Molungo!" It means "white" in the local dialect. On the 45m journey we see many lovely villages and lots of bikes. In these remote villages a bicycle can realy make the difference. Going to the market to sell fruit, wood, clothes, vegetables, carring a elder person to the hospital, going to see the family in another vilage, going to school or work.

This is the first photo of The Mozambique Bike Cukture Blog where I would like to picture the everyday cycling in Mozambique. Keep checking this blog. I would love to receive your comments.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bela bicicleta! É pena faltar-lhe um pedal, deve ser difícil pedalar assim!

Unknown said...

Greetings. I like the blog. You're in my rss feeder. keep it coming!

Cordelia said...

Please write an entry telling us about you and what you do in Mozambique. I assume you have a bike as well: what kind ? what do you use it for, etc. ?

megan said...

Hello! I love bike culture blogs, and I can't wait to learn more about the bicycles of Mozambique.

RH said...

Many thanks for all your comments. I will post soon a photo of my bike. I use it for going from my house to the hospital (where I give psychological support to orphans and people with AIDS), to go to the street market, to the café, and other everyday activities.

Tomé said...

Parabéns belo Blog, bela terra e lindas paisagens, vou ficar atento..

RH said...

E a bicicleta enquadra-se perfeitamente nesta bela terra e com esta bela gente. Obrigado pela visita.